Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy First Birthday!

I know I'm late (again...) in posting this, but I wanted to share with you all the details of Matthew's first birthday party! 

We had such a fun day celebrating our sweet baby boy!
We woke Matthew up in the morning singing "Happy Birthday." He obviously had no idea why we were singing, but loved it anyways.
We had a yummy breakfast, and then got ready for church (his birthday was on a Sunday). After church, we came home and Matthew was able to take a good nap, so he could be ready for his first birthday party!

We decided to have a fairly low key party with family and some of our friends. In the end, I think we ended up having about 25 adults, and 8 kids, so I don't know how "low key" you would really call that. 

I'm not someone who is big into themes, so since Matthew's nursery was (another post on that coming soon!) blue and grey, I decided to keep with that theme and do his first birthday the same. 

Here are all the highlights from his party......

I made his banner from card stock, and printed the letters off the computer, and then covered the art that was hanging there with grey and white fabric to match our theme.
I made the tissue paper balls too...gotta love pintrest!

We did a menu consisting of all of Matthew's favorite foods....PB&J, quesadillas, pizza (I made pizza rolls instead...kinda like hot pockets), pigs in a blanket, fruit, carrots & ranch, edemane with butter and garlic, & animal crackers with a yummy cookie dip!

Here is the table before all the food was set out. 

 Matthew's high chair...with none other then a paint sample trim, once again thanks to pintrest!
I think the people at Lowe's probably thought I was crazy with all the blue and grey paint samples I was taking!

One of my best friends, Alyssa, came over to help me make Matthew's "smash" cake, as well as all the cupcakes for the party. Alyssa is an amazing baker...I'm not to say the least (I put baking soda in the first round of cupcakes instead of baking powder...whoops!), so I was incredibly appreciate of the help!
Alyssa decorated Matthew's cake...isn't it cute??

We did a cupcake bar with all sorts of yummy treats for the top of chocolate and vanilla cupcakes!

It seems surreal to me that my baby boy is actually ONE!


I love my mom. She will kill me for putting this picture on here :) She is the BEST Grammy!

These might not look too appetizing, but let me tell you, they were delicious. Alyssa helped me make them the night before...of course we had to try them out beforehand. We made 8 of these (2 of them were full size hot dogs too!), so we thought we would share some with our hubby's who were watching basketball in the other room. Needless to say, 2 hungry, preggo mammas mowed down every last bite of those "Pigs in a blanket".
Lessons learned:...they were delicious....our husbands never knew we cooked anything...we were the real pigs in this story...we weren't all that hungry for our small group dinner later that evening (go figure)...our husbands were starving...it was all worth it :)

Alyssa and Kyle are expecting their first baby at the end of May. I so excited to raise our baby girls together! I'm only 4 weeks ahead of Alyssa, but I feel huge in the picture compared to her!
 I guess that's what being pregnant twice in one year will do to your body!

Joshua is getting so big!


Lunch time!

More and more in love with this guy every day. So blessed.

Opening presents with a one year old is madness. He liked his presents once they were opened and ready to play with, but had no interest in unwrapping them, or the toys that came in boxes. Plus, he was wiggly and all over the place. Luckily, I had a few of my nephews around to help in the mayhem!





Caleb got baby Matthew a bubble mower. I let Caleb open it for him...needless to say, Caleb was grinning ear to ear, and was SO excited to give Matthew his gift. It was precious to watch!



Time to sing "Happy Birthday" to our little man!

This kid had NO qualms about the cake. He dove right in, and LOVED. EVERY. BITE!

Yummy!
Double fisting the cake!

He wouldn't even stop for a photo op!




I've never seen a kid eat so much cake and frosting in my life. We finally had to make him stop...I think he might had eaten the entire cake if we let him! So much fun to watch!




All clean again, and ready to play and enjoy the last few minutes of his birthday party.
Thank you to everyone who helped us celebrate Matthew's FIRST birthday!

We love you so much Matthew Jay!




No comments:

Post a Comment